Uncategorized

Global Ties internship influenced Global Learning alumna

Nannette Boza graduated from FIU with the Global Learning Medallion and Peace Corps Prep certificate in Spring 2017. This profile highlights her experience interning with Global Ties Miami and provides a brief update on what she’s doing now.

Internships with Global Ties Miami are advertised through our Global Learning Medallion program, so sign up today if you’d like to receive our internship alerts!

Where did you intern? What Did you do there?

In my senior year at FIU I had the pleasure of interning for a non-profit called Global Ties Miami. This non-profit facilitates professional exchanges around the world including those for the Department of State. As an intern, I focused mainly on community outreach and itinerary planning. Professionals in various fields are invited to Miami to experience American culture and to exchange valuable information with their counterparts that I connected them with.

What projects did you work on?

Meetings with companies or federal agencies, social events for networking, and tourist excursions are just a few items found on the itinerary for these groups. I also helped in designing monthly newsletters to our community partners.

What is your major?

I majored in International Relations with a minor in Asian Studies, I graduated in May 2017.

How did your internship connect back to your coursework?

It directly corresponded with my coursework in that it brought real life scenarios to what is normally just read in textbooks including personal stories of regimes, climate change consequences, and cross- cultural communications.

What was the coolest thing about your internship or that happened during your internship?

The coolest thing that happened during my internship was a managing the itinerary for a group from the Middle East who were professionals in the tech industry. Each client had a distinctive reality in the world of teach for their region and listening to their struggles and advancements was fascinating. Hearing the stories from a personal perspective rather than a general statement like in the news or textbooks brings these experiences to a relatable level.

What did you like the most about your experience?

What I liked most about my experience was working for the Executive Director Annette Alvarez. Annette was incredibly patient with each intern and took the time to help us develop professionally throughout the internship. She is an amazing role model who stressed the importance of being genuine with people and to network extensively.

What did you learn about yourself?

I learned what kind of environment I thrive in versus the situations that take me longer to push through. You will learn that about yourself too and my advice would be to be receptive to criticism and push yourself to be better, this is a learning process!

How did your position increase your professional confidence?

My position with GTM increased my level of professionalism because it made me interact with people who are already well into their professional careers and gave me the confidence to see myself at their level. After graduation, I felt very confident moving to Washington, D.C and being a qualified candidate for entry level positions because of this experience.

How did you expand your professional network?

Since I was working mainly in community outreach, this helped me network with businesses or government agencies who were interested in professional exchanges. After graduation, I still had those connections and could reach out to them for job or volunteering opportunities.

How did it help you prove yourself in the “real-world”?

It provided me with the opportunity to communicate with people from different socio-cultural backgrounds and learn about the methods they use in their profession that may differ from what we see in America. This expanded my horizons to think outside of university parameters and engage in the “real world”.

How did you get your internship?

Global Learning had a professional development roundtable event with various non-profits including Global Ties Miami. This helped me note what these agencies are looking for in an intern and how I can apply my experience to match. This is where I met Annette and was able to connect with her on my career goals and show her I was already very involved in school being the Committee Chair for the Peace Corps Prep Program and a Global Medallion student. Have faith in your experiences and don’t be afraid show them off.

What advice do you have for those beginning the internship process?

My advice for those beginning the internship process is to think about the direction you want to take after your degree and find internships that will catapult you towards that. Do not be discouraged if rejected, keep pushing yourself towards your goals and you will make another way. Self-confidence is the key factor not just in internships but in life, and this is only the beginning!

What are you doing now after graduation?

After graduation, I packed my bags and moved to Washington, D.C with all the wonderful experience and skills FIU and GTM have given me (Go Panthers!). I am now an Administrative Assistant for Foreign Language Division at International Center for Language Studies. We focus mainly on language contracts with different government departments. My experience with GTM was one of the main points discussed in my interview and it set me apart from the rest of the applicants.